Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Weekly Update

Hello everyone!

Let me tell you, time is really flying by here! I honestly do not know where the days go! This past week hasn't been too eventful, I've just had a lot of time to hang out with friends, which is nice. Granted I could have been getting a head start on homework, but who does that while studying abroad?

I will try to be better on updating the blog, because now the past few days have kind of meshed together in my mind and I'm not quite sure what I did on each day. Granted, most days I hang out with Mel and we often get gelato, walk around a different part of Rome, or chill at her place since mine is so far away. We also have a a few Italian friends now who make us dinner!

I have had a lot of different pasta dishes lately. One kind I have had that is common in the states is a simple tomato and cheese sauce. I've also tried carbonara, which is pasta with pancetta and eggs. In addition, I've also eaten a quattro formaggi and panna sauce with tomato, which is a little sweeter then the regular tomato and cheese. I've even had pasta with peas! In other words, I have eaten a lot of pasta lately. When Mel and I go out, we usually get pizza or a falafel, which is something I never tried in the states. It is, according to Mel, vegetarian junk food, fried chick peas, yogurt, spicey sauce, and other things in a wrap. Molto buono!

Enough talk about food! Since coming to Rome, I have found that there are a bunch of distinct areas in the city. The area I live in (well, usually), is called Parioli, which is a ritzier area with wealthier, usually older people. It's mainly residential, and houses a few expensive shops and restaurants. To get to the center of the city, I have to take either a bus (number 52) or a metrotrain south one stop to Piazza Poppolo. Where Mel lives is called Trastevere, which is slightly Southwest of the center of the city. This area has more younger people as well as quite a few Americans who are studying abroad. There are also a lot more reasonable places to eat and shop at around there. One of our favorite stomping grounds is Fior di Luna, a great gelateria. Another area of Rome is the Vatican, where the Pope and his folks reside. That area I would say is less residential and houses more tourist attractions, such as St. Peters, Castel Sant'Angelo, and other museums and monuments. Then you have the center of the city, where Piazza Navonna, my school, Trevi Fountains, and the Pantheon are located. This is actually probably the most touristic area and has a lot of places to eat and shop at and countless things to see. This is also the area overrun by tourists, particularly of the Japanese and American sorts. A little west of Parioli, where I live, is Monte Mario, where most of our Italian friends live. This seems to be an area where less Americans reside and more actual Italians live. To get there from Trastevere we take a train that passes through St. Peter's.

Today I have two classes, and then later on I might go to a dinner with our school. Tomorrow morning I have to wake up early for my first class which is meeting in Villa Borghese.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment