Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sick!

Well, I have arrived in Rome. We got in on Saturday, and it was snowing like crazy! This was not what I signed up for! Anyways, I took a taxi to my house family and met them. Their names are Giuseppe and Maria Teresa and are both super nice. They don't know too much English but then again, I don't know much Italian! They have been a huge help as of lately and have been doing things like running out to get medicine, paying for it upfront for me, making me meals, and anything else I need help with. I couldn't have asked for a nicer family!

Anyways, that night I arrived, I had dinner with my family and another house family that's housing two other students from my program. The next day, we went to orientation together and we had lunch and had a little tour of Rome. Just to see what it was like, I walked back to the apartment; it wasn't too bad of a walk actually, except the last part is uphill. Rome seems like a pretty safe city and is congested so I felt comfortable.

This next part you might want to skip if you get grossed out easily:
Anyways, that night, I did something that I haven't done in about fifteen years - I threw up. All of a sudden, I felt nauseous and sure enough, I kept vomiting for the next few hours along with other lovely symptoms. I finally decided to call the doctor, who visited around 11 pm, and told me I had a stomach infection. He gave me a shot, and gave me about five different medicines to take. Although the fever has gone away for the most part and I have stopped vomiting, I still feel weak.

Needless to say, my illness caused me to miss the first two days of classes. I have been sitting around, reading, watching tv (Fairly Odd Parents in Italian!) and sleeping. I plan on going to class tomorrow; hopefully I'll feel better then.

 Snowy Rome!
 It's hard to see, but the snow is there and coming down hard!
 My room! The desk I'm sitting at now.
 Lots of bookshelves = mi piace

 My own bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment